Wednesday, April 16, 2008

classes next semester

So in the fall I'm taking 19 fucking credits worth of classes to make up for my horrible 14-credit pace of the past three semesters. I kind of look forward to the challenge because at the current rate it's boring the hell out of me. Namely, I (tentatively) have Data Structures & Algorithms, Calc III, Physics for Science and Engineering I (1337), Macroeconomics and Ethics & Moral Problems. On top of that, I have Introduction to Psychology (fuck that) as a web class in the summer, just to round off that two year degree so I can get the hell out of here and start attending Lehigh University.

Due to a scheduling conflict, I have no choice but to take Calc III with Ken Krauss, rather than Alex Rolón. Granted, Rolón's classes are pretty difficult, but he challenges us to think hard about what we do and is overall a better teacher than Krauss. Hopefully, the nearly unanimous disapproval I've heard of his classes is at least part bullshit, because I have Data Structures & Algorithms with him as well. The only other class I've taken with Krauss was Comp Sci I and my brain was in power-saving mode for most of the time. Sure, I got an A, but that's only because I had already seen almost every damn thing he put up on the board. I'm not sure I can put up with him for seven hours a week.

Man, I think I would probably already have an associate's degree if it weren't for the all the bullshit electives I've had to take. Of the six classes I'm going to take in the summer and fall, only three are directly related to the computer science / math track. I can't believe Macroeconomics is a 'Western Culture elective' and that I have to take either it or some other even worse class. If that's true, why can't Calc III be a Western culture elective? Newton (England) and Leibniz (Germany) came up with it in its modern form, right? Every country has macroeconomic affairs, and economics has nothing to do with 'culture', at least from an academic perspective. Even so, even Macroeconomics is not as worthless and irrelevant to my major as something like Ethics & Moral Problems. Like I've said before, 'ethics' is a fictional abstraction. I'm not interested in ethics. Can that shit so I can take cool classes.

Come what may, I will continue to kick ass next semester. Dags för strid!

No comments: